Welcome!

To all those reading this I am David Gibbs; I am a Lecturer in Law at the University of East Anglia.

I created this blog as a general out-let of ideas for my research, as well as keeping those interested up-to-date on my research and general interests.

I completed my PhD thesis at the University of East Anglia in 2014. The thesis was recommended for the award of PhD with no corrections. My external examiner was Prof. Simon Deakin (Cambridge) and internal examiner was Prof. Morten Hviid.
My PhD research centred on directors' duties and company law. The thesis was titled 'Non-Executive Self-Interest: Fiduciary Duties and Corporate Governance'. It was a doctrinal and empirical study on whether self-interest was suitably controlled amongst non-executive directors.

My supervisors were Prof. Mathias Siems, Prof. Duncan Sheehan, Dr. Sara Connolly and Dr. Rob Heywood

All opinions of any existing or future blogpost are my own. They do not necessarily represent the views of any of my associated institutions.
ORCID 0000-0002-6596-8536



Tuesday 29 November 2011

Innovation in Law Schools

The Financial Times have written a special report on innovative law schools. The short article focuses on the importance of combining law and business understanding in a move towards an increased inter-disciplinary learning and research environment between these different schools.

Having an undergraduate degree in business law and having studied a module on international business for my Masters I would largely agree with what the article has to say. I see a lot of value in people broadening their horizons and keeping their options open for the future.

Having a broader understanding from an inter-disciplinary approach can help develop new ways of thinking in research as well as being more employable for practice, whether as a lawyer or businessman.

Whether business and law schools will combine in the future may be a likely outcome but I do not think the need for inter-disciplinary research and study will be the sole driver of that. A stronger influence may be the reforms in higher education, in the UK at least, that drive schools to combine resources.

The special report also contains a number of other law school related articles. Access to all articles can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment